[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Jul 7 18:05:54 CEST 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Lydia Leong wrote:

> MUD people call player content creation "building". I don't think
> there's any real need to invent a new term for the graphical form
> of it, or to co-opt the word "crafting", which has been the
> traditional term used in MMORPGs (and MUDs) to denote the economic
> system and player ability to interact with the economy.

OK, that's fair.

> Note that the only real difference between Second Life and a
> Tiny-style MUD is the fact that you're in a 3D world, and there's
> a commercial entity behind it.

And a better network connection for the servers ;-).  But yes, I
strongly agree.  SL definitely acts and feels the most MUD-like of
any of the MMO things out there (caveat: I haven't tried Alphaworld
in a while, but it's also in the running).

> Might as well keep some terminology in common.

Fair enough.  OK, I'l like to see more possibilities for building in
MMORPGs :-).

Amanda Walker