[MUD-Dev] Hosting questions

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Jul 12 12:04:24 CEST 2005

ceo wrote:

> Real reason I'm responding is to point out an FYI here. After a
> certain someone (moi) complained vociferously at certain failings in
> Java's handling of OOM situations (read: I found another bug in
> their OOM handlers...

I agree that Java needs better handling when an OOM error occurs,
and keeping a section of memory available to cleanly handle this is
needed. However it can be easily prevented, at least with Sun's
implementation.

On the command line

  -xms = starting memory (default 2)

  -xmx = maximum memory  (default 64)

While I've rarely needed to use them, I've run Apache FOP using
3-4gb of ram. (which appears to spend more time in GC than working
*mutter*)

You can get more information at:

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/java.html

If -xmx is sufficient the virtual machine will be able to continue
increasing it's memory usage.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom