[MUD-Dev] Mounts and Vehicles

Lydia Leong lwl at black-knight.org
Wed Jul 13 20:40:17 CEST 2005

On Jul 9,  2:37pm, Greg B wrote:

> Would anyone like to think out loud about when they remember first
> seeing an implementation of vehicles and mounts (text-based and
> graphically)?

Text-based mounts and vehicles date back to at least 1990, if not
before.  One would see both mounts and vehicles that were directly
part of the environment (moving from location to location like
players did), as well as mounts and vehicles that moved along
"alternative routes", typically routes that allowed them to get
around the world much more quickly.

Back in 1993, I did a never-released graphical MUD that was modeled
upon Ultima V (2D square tile graphics), that had mounts,
accomplished by the simple method of replacing the "player" tile
graphic with the "player on horse" tile graphic, and increasing the
squares-of-movement rate.

	-- Lydia