[MUD-Dev] TECH: Securing Symetric Encryption.

Brian Hook hook_l at bookofhook.com
Fri Jul 15 15:32:15 CEST 2005

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not a security expert, but:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:33:33 -0400, William Leader wrote:

> is not an option (mainly because I don't want the hassle of
> managing key pairs).

There's no real hassle -- the public keys are, well, public, and can
be trivially downloaded to allow for asymmetric exchange of a faster
symmetric key.  This is the basis of SSL.

This system would seem to be a lot less cumbersome and error prone
than what you've outlined.

> 4) No management or generation of key pairs.

Again, I'm not sure why this is an issue -- the server needs a key
pair and no one else does.  It's generated one time, and it
publishes the key for everyone else.

> 1) Both parties must know a password ahead of time
> 2) The password is vulnerable when sent by mediums such as email

Those are bad enough right there.

Brian