DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev]SOC:Willcompany sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Sun Jul 17 08:01:37 CEST 2005

cruise wrote:

> Why is it that most raids are "high-end content" only? What's
> wrong with having raid-worthy stuff all the way up? Or take the
> route CoH did with it's Giant Monsters, making them con the same
> to any level - so whether you're 5 or 50, it's always the
> equivalent of fighting a +4 mob. Anyone can help, everyone can
> join in.

For a very simple reason without the need to delve too much:

Organizing raid is hard and require consolidated guilds. So from
this point of view this type of content is more suitable at the
endgame where the players start to settle down in the race for
advancement. There's basically a need for a leverage so that the
players are able to gather in a stagnant point.

The fact is that during the treadmill the players outgrow content
quickly and the standard incentive to go through the burden of a
raid (because it's a burden), which is about more powerful "phat
loot", simply isn't worth the effort.

Guess why there's this trend about the possibility to "solo"?
Exactly because "soloing" means "more accessible" content.

A raid is content hard to have access to and is worth the effort
only if the reward is consistent. Which doesn't work along the
treadmill. I mean, you can have that content, but it's content that
noone will care about if not in rare occasions.

-HRose / Abalieno