DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev]SOC:Willcompany sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Jul 26 11:45:08 CEST 2005

According to Michael Hartman:

> They make raids to cater to their most hardcore players who are:

>  1) Less than 1% of their customers.

A bit more than that. On Everquest, a couple years ago, I did a
quick estimation, and raiding guilds represented about 15% of the
players.

There was a site that referenced all self-declared raiding guilds,
and where they were in the progression of the last expansion bosses.
If you took those guilds, multiplied by an average number of member
(you needed about 70 people to raid Planes of Power), you got around
50000 high-end raiding people, at a time where EQ boasted having
450,000 subscribers. That's for the high-end guilds only. There were
also a number of smaller guilds that raided previous expansion
targets (Luclin, Velious), adding to those 50,000.

Some of these guilds raided lightly, raiding maybe twice a week, on
low-end targets. But they still raided regularly.

My last EQ guild was one of these. We raided on thursdays and
tuesdays each week, and did relatively well. Until the euro servers
started imploding, that is :(

World of Warcraft seem to have about the same amount of raiding
people, but diluted in a much larger pool of players, though.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)