[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviors spawned from...]

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Thu Jul 28 12:30:02 CEST 2005

Lydia Leong spake thusly...

> Many of the people who play "The Sims", for instance, are getting
> something extremely different out of that play experience than is
> readily addressed using the A/E/S/K model. Until we figure out how
> to address this audience, the market for MMOGs will remain
> limited.

Interestingly, though the Sims still has a reasonably large portion
of "achievement"-orientated gameplay in it - getting a better job,
getting nicer stuff, a bigger house, etc. etc. Most mainstream MMO's
are about achieving levels and ub3r l00t. The Sims is only different
in the method for gaining them.  What we really need is a game that
lets achieve something else.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
  "quantam sufficit"