[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviors spawned from...]

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Fri Jul 29 06:20:24 CEST 2005

Damien Neil wrote:
> On 7/27/05, Lydia Leong <lwl at black-knight.org> wrote:

>> Many of the people who play "The Sims", for instance, are getting
>> something extremely different out of that play experience than is
>> readily addressed using the A/E/S/K model. Until we figure out
>> how to address this audience, the market for MMOGs will remain
>> limited.

> I think that attempts to "address an audience" are doomed to
> failure. The true successes are driven by the passion of the
> designer, not a cold, calculating manipulation of the player.

I agree with this completely. A developer has to have a vision to
design a game that he/she would enjoy. Then he/she has to work
his/her butt off to make it happen.

So the way to address this Sims-like audience is for someone who
really loves that kind of game, and also loves MMOs, to decide to
make an MMO that includes aspects of both types of games they
enjoy. If enough people agree, and if the developer does a good
enough job.... success!

--
Michael Hartman, J.D. (http://www.thresholdrpg.com)
President & CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.