[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

ghovs ghovs at plex.nl
Tue Jun 7 13:48:49 CEST 2005

Cruise said, among other things:

> It's been suggested in the past to have a "family" in game, to
> deal with character death. Why not take it a step further, and
> give all players a proper family?

It's interesting that you mention this, and I wouldn't mind seeing
it happen.

I've seen in-game 'families' like a host of players sticking
together outside of traditional guild settings through the use of
surnames, as well as players like myself who keep a flock of
characters able to function in concert to a common goal, or a goal
of only one of that flock (it varies).

I find it adds a dimension to my game play which increases my
enjoyment. Supporting and making visible that style of play, wether
it is performed by one or more players on any given set of
characters, through an evolving family is a fascinating
concept. Might be something to learn and adapt from the Sims? It
sounds feasible.

rgds,
Peter de Freitas