[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Craig Huber huberc at frontiernet.net
Fri Jun 17 15:30:47 CEST 2005

Tony Hoyt wrote...

> Well then, I beg to ask what defines real crafting in such a
> scope?  While most MMOG's do enforce a limitation on what players
> can create, some at least give a decent sence of working on
> something to and end result.  Although like it's been said, it
> perhaps resembles more manifacturing then crafting.

I'll give you my opinion/answer: a system that is as immediate and
detailed in terms of decision making as the combat system in the
game.  The mechanics (in the abstract) could be nearly identical
(setting aside the potentials for group participation)... the
difference would be whether the end result is a defeated opponent or
a finished product.

EQ2 is, to me, an illustration of a large step in the right
direction in terms of crafting mechanics/process, although the
supporting details of collecting raw materials, managing an
expansive inventory within the interface, and effectively selling
finished products were all serious impediments to the total
experience, IMO.

As an aside, the "manufacturing v. crafting" perspective is an
interesting philosophical point: is it possible that we are so
disconnected as members of a technological society from the concept
of crafting that we can no longer even effectively create (or
appreciate) a simulation of it?  Seems doubtful, but the thought
occurred to me as I was reading your post, so I thought I'd at least
ask the rhetorical question.

Craig