[MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

David Wright david.a.wright at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:45:23 CEST 2005

On 5/11/05, John Buehler <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> Create a game that attaches a history to objects - within the game
> - and you have created an incentive to both gain an item in an
> interesting fashion and to use it in interesting ways.

> A player examines a sword and finds that it was purchased for $38
> on April 6, 2004.

> A player examines a sword and finds that it was gained by Boffo
> after defeating the Zazu Orc Captain on Thamis 12, 341.  It has
> claimed the lives of 65 orcs. It has been wielded by Boffo, Dave
> Rulz Everyone, and Biffo.

> And so on.  Whatever historical events might be appropriate to the
> object.

> Permit a short description to be written when an in-game event
> takes place, and you've further incentivized the story-telling
> aspect of the game (or, alternately, an opportunity for foul
> language).  But I believe that storytelling has to be supported by
> the game directly so that the players are reminded that there is
> value in the history of an object.  Do the same with characters
> and you've added to their eBay value (for better or for worse).

I really like this idea of attaching in-game item logs/histories,
especially if it was implemented in such a way that it contained
both game generated entries (when it was initially looted, by who,
how much blood it has shed, what trades and by who and what was
traded for it (assuming its a tradeable item), etc) and write once
character comments... sort of engraving your own history upon an
item ("in the month of Oct, on the 3rd day, of the year 872, this
sword tasted the blood and felled the great dragon Ysorh of the
Black Mountain").

It has the potential to provide great roleplaying and lore aspects,
and further a more practical way of identifying potential trade
scams and other potentially ilicit activities without involving CS
or other developer involvement.

Sort of like requesting a title history before you purchase a used
car.