[MUD-Dev] DGN: Lords, Vassals, Serfs and the Clergy

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 18 15:34:02 CEST 2005

Paul Schwanz <pschwanz at bellsouth.net>  wrote:

> That's why I think you got it right when it comes to (some of) the
> rules.  You are recognizing that one size (your particular size)
> doesn't fit all, so you are giving the players the ability to set
> their own rules while also coding a design that will automatically
> select for "good" rules and against "dumbass" ones as defined by
> the players.  To me, that just seems at odds with your stance on
> the governmental system (which could be implemented based on
> pretty much the exact same concepts), and especially at odds with
> the tone of your last paragraph here.

Paul,

I don't understand you, completely.  To me, it is you who are making
contradictory statements.

I don't totally agree with your concept of role-playing, but the
gist is close.  If I don't forge the system to work the way it
works, that is, if it doesn't enforce the governmental system I've
created, then I'm not creating anything...

Leaving things in the players hands takes me back to square one, or
worse, it only partially addresses what I see as a plethora of
social and economic issues within MMORPGs.  Personally, I find it
frustrating when someone ALMOST comes up with a great way to handle
these problems, but refuses (for whatever reason) to go all the way
toward implementing what I see as a logical conclusion.

Specifically, I don't understand what you'd have me "leave open to
players".  Can you give me an example of what you'd do differently
that would allow players to have the freedom you're describing,
without upsetting the balance of such a system?

Thanks,

Jaycen