[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: EmergentBehaviorsspawnedfrom...]

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Oct 13 16:34:53 CEST 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Probably a little of both, though I would be curious to find out
> if you can accurately pronounce phonemes that don't exist in your
> native language.

Yep, no problem.  Give me a native speaker to listen to, and a few
distinctive pairs, and I have no trouble learning new phonetics.

> I have a fairly good ear as well, but I've never gone so far with
> a foreign language (Mandarin, for example) to know whether I can
> distinguish tonal subtleties that don't exist in English.

Interestingly, I *don't* pick up tone distinctions very well--and I
wasn't exposed to them as a child.  Yet I have a very good ear for
musical intonation.  More anecdotal evidence, I suppose.

Amanda Walker