[SPAM] Re: [MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Role playing and Voice Chat

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Thu Oct 13 19:19:39 CEST 2005

Michael Hartman wrote:
> Damion Schubert wrote:

> Again, that's not role playing you are talking about.

I get the distinct impression that you think role play is a solely
social engagement. I would ask you to consider that you can play the
role of a fighter or healer even when you are in comabt. Role play
is not merely thee and thou but encompases, at least for me, as many
aspects of the character as I can. My fighter might choose to never
ask for healing and prefer to die on his feet to let his friends
survive. He can make that a part of his character role and play it
as a character trait without ever saying anything. Similiarly Imight
play the cowardly captain who hides in his fox hole while giving
orders to his team. How I give those orders and what they are can be
very much a part of the role that my character plays.

I do agree that in general role play is better in type and voice is
best used as an OOC augmentation but how you play a role in the
setting is not limited to non-combat.

<EdNote: A term which has been used on the list for this area is,
"functional roleplaying", used to reference strictly GoP activities
which yet mostly fall within the visible definitions of
roleplaying.>