[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Role playing and Voice Chat

Tess Snider malkyne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:54:24 CEST 2005

On 10/15/05, Damion Schubert <dschubert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps what I'm arguing is that roleplaying isn't as important as
> immersion.

The original thread you branched this one off of was asking if
various features Mike Rozak was planning to institute were of value
or interest to roleplayers, so I've been assuming that we're talking
about roleplayers.  I think it would be fair to start with the
assumption that roleplayers do, in fact, want to roleplay.

Heck, in some games, roleplaying is all the immersion the players
get.  You can have the best damn room descriptions in the world, but
after you see the same wallpaper for the 15th time, you really don't
notice it anymore.  You say that typing chat destroys immersion, but
typing chat never destroyed anyone's immersion in a TinyMUSH.
That's all the immersion there is, man.

You could say, "Roleplaying isn't as important as immersion for the
vast majority of MMO players," and that would be an entirely valid
assertion. That, I might be inclined to agree with.  However, it's
also a bit of a tangent!

Tess