[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Multi - Browser plugin framework

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Tue Oct 18 17:54:36 CEST 2005

Just a few disagreements on your numbers.

ceo wrote:

> AJAX: no install needed, "just works"

*If* you have the browser for it.  Still restrictive in what you can
do (as you are still in the "pull" only arena).

> Flash: 97% chance no install needed (already installed)

On Windows, because IE has installed the Flash plugin for years, you
might see 97%.  On other platforms and in other browsers your going
to see probably a more likely 85%; and you are also more and more
likely to find people with Flash turned off or blocked thanks to the
advertisers.

> C#: ?? chance no install needed - there's many .NET apps out there
> that have forced people to download the runtimes, but ... they
> still seem to have reached only a tiny minority of people

I'd call it 65% of Windows users.  I believe XP SP2 or higher users
should have the 1.0 and 1.1 Framework installed, even though they
might not know it.  Also, if you follow the Windows Update
recommendations on any Windows platform (which you should), you
should have it as well. Windows Server 2005 requires the .NET
Frameworks for several applications and all Windows Vista users will
have 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 Frameworks (the 2.0 Framework is finalized
next month, by the way).

As for *nix: The Mono Framework is slowly being added as a "must
have" package for several of the Gnome-based distros, and many of
the latest Gnome apps are written in C# and require Mono.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/