[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play

Russ Whiteman russw99 at swbell.net
Thu Sep 1 01:18:31 CEST 2005

cruise wrote:

> After this wonderfully long discussion of the motivations behind
> game-playing and the such, I've yet to see any firm
> conclusions. Different people have their own pet theories, but we
> seems to be lacking a general consensus for the fundemental
> reasons our entire industry exists.

> Anyone else find that faintly disturbing?

> Here we are, merrily coding or designing away, with scarce more
> rationale behind our decisions than "I think it's cool." And
> sometimes people agree with us, sometimes they don't.

When you're talking about human desires and motivations, then no, I
don't find it at all surprising or disturbing that little agreement
can be reached.  Psychologists has been researching such questions
for the last century or so, and they have equally little consensus
on how and why people do what they do.  I have doubts that such
subjective questions will -ever- be amenable to objective rules and
analysis.