[MUD-Dev] Attack System

Tess Snider malkyne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:42:41 CEST 2005

On 9/5/05, Damion Schubert <dschubert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Using multiple dice does some very interesting things in general,
> the most notable is that they create a natural mushroom-shape to
> the possible results table...

For those who don't want to think in terms of dice, you can also use
a standard normal random number distribution, to get nice
"mushroom-shape" results.  This is usually called "randnorm," where
available, but you can write your own algorithm for converting
uniform random numbers to normalized random numbers.  Usually, you
pass in a mean and a variance, to produce the bell curve you're
looking for.=20 There are simply scads of things this is useful for,
some of which Damion already enumerated.

If anyone wants to just play around with this stuff without lots of
work, there's a randNorm function in this package:

  http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wagnerr/MersenneTwister.html

I've used it for procedurally generating living spaces before.  Very
nice.

Tess