[MUD-Dev] SOC/DGN: Reasons the Sexes Play

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 17 09:17:23 CEST 2005

Sean Howard wrote:

>> Bold Statement: Gender has no purpose in any discussion about
>> videogames, except for discussions about why this is the
>> case. Girls play for the exact same reason boys play, and
>> marketing to girls is no different than marketing to boys.

To which, Amanda Walker replied:

> I'm tempted to just say "well, good luck with that" :-).

> But instead, I'll ask "if this is the case, why does this question
> keep coming up?"

Reading this month's issue of Southwest Airlines magazine, there's a
great article discussing cable T.V. programming for men.  One
interesting side note brought up was that Spike T.V., a channel that
unabashedly markets to men, has only a slightly lower percentage of
women viewers.

I'm not evaluating that in any particular light, but what does Spike
T.V. know about marketing an entertainment medium that appeals so
strongly to men AND women?  Especially considering the nature of the
advertising and it's targetted appeal?

Anyone else a huge fan of MXC (Takeshi's Castle)?  Funny stuff.