[MUD-Dev] Custom Client or Plain ole' Telnet?

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Wed Sep 21 00:27:32 CEST 2005

Matt Chatterley wrote:

> Simply put - do I go with a custom client, or implement a telnet
> interface?

1) It's a design issue, as you noted.

2) It's a marketing issue too...

A large text-only VW has around 500-1000 concurrent peak users. A
large graphical VW with full 3D and a huge budget has 100x - 1000x
that, WoW having around 500K-1M concurrent peak users.. Ultima
Online is someplace in bewteen w/respect to graphics, and has 20K
(???) concurrent peak users. (The numbers are all muddied by
English-speaking vs. Asian-only vs. worldwide, too.)

These are three points on the graph. One might assume the function
is monotonically increasing with the amount of graphics, but this
isn't necessarily the case. If you make a text-only VW with minimal
graphics (like maps), will you end up with more players? I don't
know.

Furthermore... Marketing almost always wants more players. As a
designer, do you want more players?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au