[DGD] Re: IMud 3

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 01:34:40 CET 1997

> Is it possible to create an IMud 3 implementation under DGD? What
> would I do when sending the arrays? Is there a way to represent them
> in a string? And the ints that I have to send, are they strings or
> ints?
>
> Is this possible to do at all, or should I just give up now, and
> concentrate on more important things? :-)

It certainly is possible.  You have to represent everything as a MudOS
save/restore format string and prepend the string with 4 bytes representing
the (32 bit integer) length of the string in proper network byte order.

I have some code to do this but parts are untested.  The code to place
the variable into the correct string representation is in my mdbm package in
the efun directory (you can download it from http://www.enol.com/~asmith/drf).
Look at the functions restore_variable and save_variable.  They have been
tested reasonably well.

I can send you some untested code to prepend the 4 byte length information
onto that string if you like.  Let me know :).

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide