[DGD] Re: IMud 3

Jason Cone jcone at tamu.edu
Fri Dec 12 02:08:28 CET 1997

>Is it possible to create an IMud 3 implementation under DGD? What
>would I do when sending the arrays? Is there a way to represent them
>in a string? And the ints that I have to send, are they strings or
>ints?

Sure is.  What Greg has (kfun-level of variable-string conversions) may be
the ideal solution, but I've had an Imud-3 protocol up and working for quite
some time now.  Granted, I still haven't added support for all the possible
services, but the main daemon that handles receiving, sending, and
encoding/decoding strings to values and vice-versa works really pretty well.
The only limitation that I've run into is the max length of a string (only a
problem when receiving mudlist packets).  The conversion code that I use
handles any number of nested arrays/mappings within an array/mapping.

Anyway, if you're (or anyone else for that matter) is interested in the code
I'd be more than glad to email it to you as it is not yet publicly
available.  The only requirement is that you've added the network support to
the driver.  I'm assuming you've done that, though.

Regards,

Jason Cone

||==================================================================||
||                         ||  "Hard work spotlights the character  ||
|| Jason H. Cone           ||   of people:  some turn up their      ||
|| Dept. Computer Science  ||   sleeves, some turn up their noses,  ||
|| Texas A&M University    ||   and some don't turn up at all."     ||
|| jcone at cs.tamu.edu       ||             - Sam Ewing               ||
||                   JUST        TRI          IT                    ||