[DGD] Re: Mudlib

Dan Root dar+dgd at thekeep.org
Wed Jan 28 17:23:42 CET 1998

On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 04:37:35PM +0100, Erlend Simonsen wrote:
> The last couple of months, I've been coding away on a mudlib. Things
> have progressed pretty fast, since I was in between jobs, and had
> nothing better to do. Next week, I'll start working full time again,
> and I know my lib coding will slow down a lot.
>
> So I was wondering, since I was planning to release this mudlib when
> it was 'complete', should I clean it up and make it available or
> should I wait until it is really finished?

That depends on how long it'll be til it's finished.  I know that
personally, no matter how hard I try, I never *finish* it, because I'm
always going back to tweak things.

> < list of features snipped >
> and probably some more stuff I've forgotten. :-)

Out of curiosity, how modular is the design?  Would it be easy to add to or
remove these features?   (In particular, I'm looking for something to
start from that's a little more developed than Melville or the
kernel-lib, but aimed at a social environment, so races, combat, and
such are not necessary).

> Is there any interest for a new mudlib, other than Melville and
> Kernel-Lib to play with?

Definitely, if only for another look at how one person thinks they
should set up a mudlib.

	-DaR
Dan Root - dar at thekeep.org