[DGD] Re: Mudlib

Erlend Simonsen erlesimo at online.no
Wed Jan 28 20:35:59 CET 1998

Dan Root <dar+dgd at thekeep.org> writes:

> That depends on how long it'll be til it's finished.  I know that
> personally, no matter how hard I try, I never *finish* it, because I'm
> always going back to tweak things.

I know I'll never be completely finnished with the lib, but I don't
have to feel done with it for it to be usable for other people. :-)
Almost anything is better than the publicly available DGD libs.

> Out of curiosity, how modular is the design?  Would it be easy to add to or
> remove these features?   (In particular, I'm looking for something to
> start from that's a little more developed than Melville or the
> kernel-lib, but aimed at a social environment, so races, combat, and
> such are not necessary).

Modular? I have one 200Kb auto object. :-D

While coding, I've looked a lot at the Lima mudlib when it comes to
how to split it up. And removing races hard at all. Neither is
combat. The thing is that since I've mostly coded for myself and the
mud we're creating, if you want to remove functionality you'll have to
edit the code here and there. It's not as trivial as commenting
something out in one include file. But it's not hard either.

> Definitely, if only for another look at how one person thinks they
> should set up a mudlib.

I'll make it available then.

If anyone would want to take a look at it before the public release is
made, send me a mail, and I'll give you a copy. I'd love to get some
feedback as to how the lib is, and what should be changed before I put
it up on my web page.

--
Erlend M. Simonsen
erlesimo at online.no - http://home.sol.no/~esimonse/