[DGD] Re: Networking package

Logic logic at logic.net
Sun May 10 21:55:56 CEST 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998 harte at xs4all.nl wrote:
> *chuckle*  Hm, hadn't noticed until just now that netscape (4.03) seems
> to think it necesary to strip the '.gz' bit in the Save-File dialog.
> If anyone can explain why that happens, or tell me how to prevent it,
> I'm interested in hearing it. :-)

My pet theory on this is that it's the web server stating that there is a
application/x-tar. With Content-Encoding:, the browser (if it can handle
it) is expected to decode the message upon arrival. Content-Type:, on the
other hand, is benign, and is provided only for informational purposes
(oh, I need to use tar to extract this package).

--