[DGD] Re: Pros/Cons of Releasing Mudlibs

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon May 11 23:41:30 CEST 1998

Dan Root <dar+dgd at thekeep.org> wrote:
>[...]
> Uniqueness - I'm mixed on this one.  This touches on the whole
> Stock vs Custom issue that seems to infest the r.g.m.* hierarchy
> from time to time.  If you distributed a library with no predefined
> 'areas' then you can largely avoid this.  The other side of this
> comes down to, is it 'bad' to be recognizable in terms of the feel
> of the library?  For players it's a good thing, since familiar is
> comfortable as a rule.

Stock muds are good.  Many of the muds that eventually become
worthwhile have started out as a stock mud.  The problem with
current stock muds is not that that there are too many of them,
but that they are very, very out of date.  Making them
interesting, compared to other muds that already exist, is a
very large amount of work -- so it never happens.

I have little hope for a new mud that builds on 2.4.5, now.  But
back in 1991 it was a good idea, and the muds that started with
it have since evolved and diversified.