[DGD] RE: Pros/Cons of Releasing Mudlibs

George Reese borg at imaginary.com
Wed May 20 23:30:44 CEST 1998

I figure I have some experience on this one I might help with :)

This is really the only pro I can think of to releasing in a general sense.

> * DGD is severely lacking in functional, usable, and
> game-oriented mudlibs.

And this is definitely true in a DGD-specific sense.

> * You could potentially benefit from those people that apply new
> functionality to your source.

That does not happen much at the mudlib level.  The mudlib is where people
are differentiating themselves heavily.  Of the things I received for NM,
only a couple ever made it into the distribution either because the ideas
were so peculiar or the code sucked so bad.

> * Much bigger "pool" to draw from as far as tracking bugs and such goes.

Don't count on this one at the mudlib level :)  95% of all bug reports are
useless.  They are generally people misusing the lib or who simply don't
know a bug from a hole in their head.  The other 5% are useful, but drowned
out in the noise.

> Cons to Releasing
> =================
> * Attention is focused to the development of the lib rather than the
> development of the MUD.

This is actually a plus, IMHO.  But it assumes you have separated the duties
of running the mud into taking care of the lib and those who take care of
the game.  Specifically, it allows you to view features people are asking
for *on the mud* in a more generic context and thus allows you to come up
with more flexible solutions.

> * You lose all functional uniqueness (potentially numerous clones of your
> MUD).

This is a HUGE problem... especially a year or two down the road.  More
specifically, every mud has the problem of player X disagrees with the
admins and declares he or she will start their own mud.

Guess what.  If your mudlib is being publically distributed, not only can
they start their own mud, but they can start one JUST LIKE yours.  And then
they can come back to your mud and say "we have started a mud just like
CornerStone, except it is run by players who remember what it is like to be
a player" (as if you somehow don't have a clue).

This is 90% of why I removed NM from distribution.

> * Open to subjective public criticism on design paradigms (not really a
> problem, just an annoyance).

Subjective criticism is not the problem.  It is the pot shots.  Especially
from people who don't have a clue.  You will have a bit of a honeymoon for a
while on this one though since you will be the only developed game lib for
DGD.

And don;t forget having to provide tech support for people using the lib!