[DGD] Re: Out of curiosity...

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed May 27 15:26:18 CEST 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Mikael Lind wrote:
> > If 2) is used, I think that function_object(), this_object(),
> > previous_program() and perhaps also error() need to be made nomask. Masking
> > security functions is as far as I know a rather easy way of breaking
> > security.
>
> They should be made nomask if you do redefine them, but you don't need
> to redefine them just for that.  kfun calls stay kfun calls, even if
> an inheriting object tries to redefine the kfun.

This brings up a more general question; would someone be kind
enough to tell me exactly what the declarations "static", "private",
and "nomask" do when applied to a function, and what they do when
applied to a variable if that is different? I suspect that everyone
on this list except me knows the answer :) and if so, a reply by
email would be fine. Or, if this is in the DGD documentation somewhere
that I haven't seen it, a pointer to the appropriate file would be
fine too.

Thanks, Steve