[DGD] Re: ack

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Sep 2 13:14:40 CEST 1998

>     Thanks you all for all the email on the ANSI stuff!  I know I'm being a
> bastard trying to run this on Win95.  But I've run Linux.. and while I do
> like most of it, I'm so much more at home on the MS platform.

Well, Dworkin has gone to a lot of trouble to make dgd portable.  So, rabid OS
advocacy aside, you should be free to run it on whatever of those platforms
you choose (although add ons are clearly at the discretion of the add on
author).  The ansi patch doesn't do anything system specific, so you should
be able to compile up dgd on your Win9x box and do what you want with it.  It
would be nice to see it compiling on said box under a freely available
compiler too.

Having said that...

I took dgd 1.1 and patched it up to 1.1p6, built it and ran it on the kernel
mudlib (all under gnuwin32).  I didn't encounter any problems (and the kernel
mudlib indeed reports the driver version as 1.1p6) so I'm thinking its possibly
a Win95 configuration issue more than anything.  I will note that I only
logged onto the mud and then immediately quit, I didn't try and do anything
tricky.

Argh, and I've deleted the last few posts on this too.  I remember the problem
you were having was the call to gethostbyname().  I think Dworkin's was in a
call to socket() from memory?  I'm thinking these may be tricky to fix if they
are Windows configuration dependent...

Anyway, it _can_ be done, but obviously not under all circumstances.

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide