[DGD] Re: FTP

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Fri Sep 11 03:55:08 CEST 1998

Wim van der Wegt wrote:

> Don't forget the biggest disadvantage of a build-in ftp server, if the mud
> won't restart (for example because you made a type in a new driver object),
> the ftp server isn't of much use as it won;t start either.

Hmm, I'm still somewhat unconvinced this is a _big_ disadvantage.  If your
driver object won't load then how is having an ftp daemon running going to help
unless you have some way of restarting the driver remotely.  Certainly you
can ftp up what you believe to be repaired code, but unless you can get the
driver process to restart thats not much help.  If you've written a script to
keep restarting the driver/make sure the driver is up, then surely you can add
a few thingies to it to restart using a different config file that points to
some sort of fail safe mudlib that will allow admins in to fix up the mess.

> For the ftp protocol, it's not that hard, i wrote one once in lpc that even
> adjusted the filesystem show to the user to the parts of the mud he/she was
> supposed to see (ie it left out the directories posing a security risk if
> anyone would have edit access to). I know a couple of other lpc programmers
> have their versions too.

*nod* Its certainly not too hard to write.  My point was merely that why does
everyone need to write their own?  Something that at least covered the
implementation of the protocol would at go some way to alleviating the
problem (from my point of view) of people writing code to do the same thing
as somebody else time and time again.

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide