[DGD] Ftp server and defining of __ICHAT__

Tim Blommerde T.Blommerde at et.tudelft.nl
Sat Sep 12 11:53:58 CEST 1998

Dear reader,

Well, the weekend has finally arrived and though I still have to finish a
small project in Access, I'll be able to finally start coding my first
things in a dgd mud.  For as far as I can deduct from the dgd-list there are
about three people that have a more or less working ftp daemon, namely
Erlend M. Simonsen, Wim van der Vegt and Jason Cone.  None of these are yet
downloadable, which they all will hopefully in the near future.  Though I
bet all three are working fine and probably better than one I could write I
still am gonna try my hand at coding one too.  Hopefully I will finish it
before the end of the weekend, so the people that are interested in it can
download it from somewhere and try it out this week.  I will use the RFC 959
specifications and will code it for the standard lib, with no add ons
besides the net and object-info packages.

Now that I've rambled a bit on about my intentions for the weekend, I've got
a few question for those active this weekend too:
  1) Are there any special request you'd like to have in an ftp server ?
  2) Is there someone/Are there people online for a great deal of the
      weekend and which have time to answer some questions regarding
      the driver that might arise while I'm coding ?
  3) Where/When is the __ICHAT__ variable defined in the config.c file ?
      I've installed the net package, but SYS_NETWORKING ain't defined,
      because __ICHAT__ ain't defined.  Is this right, or has something gone
      wrong upon installing ?
  4) The RFC 959 standards for the ftp protocol use two ports, one for the
      commands and one for the data.  Will this be a great problem for many
      of you ?  Or in other words, are many of you short on ports, or do you
      all have a rather unlimited usage of ports ?

Well, that's it for so far.  I'll be away for about an hour and then I'll be
back and start writing some pieces of code and try and make me an ftp
daemon.  Wish me luck (*smile*).

Thanks for reading and have a totally outragious and enjoyable weekend,
Tim