[DGD](no subject)

Jason Cone jcone at usabilitysciences.com
Fri Apr 30 21:58:11 CEST 1999

Yes.

> You didn't have to, and you still don't _have_ to, but it's a good idea
> to do so and put some security-checks around the call, you don't want
> anyone and their dog, erm, wizard/creator-type people, to open up
> ports, that can lead to nasty situations.  Same goes for connect().

Ok, that's what I thought.  I left out the surrounding checks for valid
calls just to be sure those weren't the cause of my problem.

Sorry about leaving out the mud port's code.  Here's the call/function
that's causing the problem:

static void create()
{
    open_port("telnet", MUD_PORT);
}

MUD_PORT has a value of 4800 (verified).  The call to open_port() causes a
message to be displayed to the console that reads, "Too many arguments for
function".  Again, when commented out, nothing happens.

> This indicates that the _efun_ (i.e: the auto-object version of)
> open_port() is called with more than 2 arguments, if it had been the
> ::open_port() call then you should've been seeing "Too many arguments
> for kfun" or something similar.

The above scenario happens regardless of redefining the open_port() function
in the auto object.  I forgot to mention that this also takes place on both
Linux and Win32.  If there's any other information I can give you, let me
know.

JC