[DGD](no subject)

harte at xs4all.nl harte at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 30 19:07:56 CEST 1999

Quoting your message from 30 Apr:
| Greets.

[...]
| After finally bringing DGD up to date (with the Net 11 package), I've
| encountered a problem.  I'm sure it's silly, but I can't figure it out for
| the life of me.

You -are- using it with DGD 1.1.61, right?

| The Net doc metions that you have to redefine the open_port() kfun in the
| auto object -- I'm not sure if he meant that it's a good idea to or if you
| really have to because you didn't have to in the previous version.

You didn't have to, and you still don't _have_ to, but it's a good idea
to do so and put some security-checks around the call, you don't want
anyone and their dog, erm, wizard/creator-type people, to open up
ports, that can lead to nasty situations.  Same goes for connect().

| Anyway, I went ahead and did it out of it being a good idea to do so anyway.
| Here's my declaraction in the auto object:
|
| static void open_port(string sProtocol, varargs int nPort)
| {
|     ::open_port(sProtocol, nPort);
| }

Sounds good to me.

| and here's the call from the Mud port object:

Yes?  I think you forgot to cut'n'paste that one in, here.

| I have 3 "port" objects (Mud, HTTP, and FTP).  When any of those 3 calls the
| open_port() function, I get a "Too many arguments for function" error
| message and DGD proceeds to shut itself down automatically.

This indicates that the _efun_ (i.e: the auto-object version of)
open_port() is called with more than 2 arguments, if it had been the
::open_port() call then you should've been seeing "Too many arguments
for kfun" or something similar.

| If I comment out the calls to open_port(), DGD is much happier, but I
| (of course) can't connect to anything.

Odd.

| The obvious question is, "What in the world is going on?"  There were no
| errors during the network patch (no .rej files or otherwise "bad" messages),
| so I'm led to believe that the driver is as it should be.  Anyway, if anyone
| could shed some light on this, I would totally appreciate it.

I'll try to reproduce this error, later today, but meanwhile I'd like
you to consider the abovementioned points, and see if they give you
some pointers towards solving the problem?

Erwin.