[DGD]ed shutdown?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Jan 10 21:15:41 CET 1999

"Scott Maasen" <scottm at wwn.net> wrote:

> > I would have if I knew...I'm using the Windows port. All it says is
> > "Runtime error! Abnormal program termination" and it shuts down.
>
> > Adam
>
> I get these mailings.. so I'll throw my 2 cents in worth for once :)
>
> Adam likely did 'not' get an error message .. He likely ran DGD from a dos
> prompt.. I do that a lot myself as I run a batch in windows 95.  A crash
> when you run from a dos prompt dos in fact close the DGD window and not
> show you the error.  What Adam needs to do to find the error statement
> is to hit 'Start' then 'Run' then run the DGD program from the win95
> desktop.  It's more involved than running from dos as you have to load the
> file from DGD then launch it.. but it doesn't close during a crash either
> :)

There are several ways in which the Windows version of DGD can
terminate due to an error.  What you describe is what happens when
there is an configuration error during the startup phase; if the
program can detect that it wasn't started from a batch job, it will
keep displaying the last configuration error until the user quits
manually.

However, the error in question was detected at runtime.  If the error
is serious enough that DGD cannot continue, and if the current state
of the program is complicated enough that a clean shutdown is not
possible, the program aborts with a fatal error.  In that case,
the main window is not closed until the user clicks on a dialog
box thrown up by Windows, indicating that the program has terminated
abnormally.  The experimental version behaves slightly differently,
but it too would keep displaying the fatal error until the user
took action.

This particular error message was shown.