[DGD]upgrading old clones

Geir Harald Hansen geirhans at ifi.uio.no
Sat Jul 10 02:42:22 CEST 1999

> >    object upgrade_clones(int issue_id)
> Is there a chance to retreive this issue_id from e.g one of the clones ?
> If not, and I don't know a way, How would you plan to store this information
> needed to call the upgrade_clone function ?

Sure: status(object)[O_INDEX] is the issue ID of the master of <object>.

> 1) Which masterobjects have to be exchanged ?
>    a) a only
>    b) a and b
>    c) a, b, c ( and I must call compile_object in d,e ) (I fear c is correct)

All of them, c).  When upgrading a, you must upgrade everything inheriting
a, directly or indirectly.

> 2) If c) is correct, is there a way to walk through the tree to do the
>    upgrading automatically ?

Yeah, my object daemon for the kernel library does this.  If I just manage
to finish the last parts, maybe I release it.  Took a bit longer than I
had thought.

> 3) If there is no straight forward way for 2) is there a way to provide the
>    needed information by bookkeeping in e.g. clone_object ?

You need to do book keeping through the master and auto objects.  A good
example of how this can be done is the DGD kernel library with an
object daemon.  Using the kernel library, you just create an object
daemon, implementing the necessary functions, the interface is already
set.  This takes a bit of work, though.

Geir Harald Hansen, geirhans at ifi.uio.no