[DGD]upgrading kernel library

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jun 22 17:31:02 CEST 1999

Rasmus H Hansen <hellbug at post1.tele.dk> wrote:

> This upgrading of base objects seems to be a candidate for a kernel library
> add-on. Immediately I don't see any need for great variation on how this is
> implemented - but then again I haven't coded this, I merely thought it
> over. Would anybody care to share such an implementation or maybe Dworkin
> can be persuaded to include automatic rebuild (or whatever this feature
> should be dubbed) in a future version of the kernel library.

I know of three existing implementations of global upgrading, and
they're all substantially different.  Only two of them use the
kernel library.  I see room for more variants.

The kernel library doesn't include this because it is supposed to be
minimal.  It does provide all the hooks to make it possible, though --
see the object manager documentation in dgd/mud/doc/kernel/hook. I
estimate that it can be implemented in about a thousand lines of
code.

> (Fear the rollback of an atomic rebuild.)

Compared to the time it took to do the global upgrade, a rollback
due to an error in atomically executed code will be almost
unnoticable.