[DGD]upgrading kernel library

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Jun 28 23:20:19 CEST 1999

Geir Harald Hansen <geirhans at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> Dworkin wrote:
> > I know of three existing implementations of global upgrading, and
> > they're all substantially different.  Only two of them use the
> > kernel library.  I see room for more variants.
>
> Substantially different?  Any details?  Would be interesting what
> options I have for making my own.  (Can't think of too many
> different ways)

Possible variants:

 - keep track of different issues of compiled objects, including their
   sources.
 - don't keep track of different issues; instead, ensure that only
   one issue exists of an object at any time by making the upgrade
   operation atomic.  Disallow destructing of lib objects that are
   still inherited other than by the upgrade operation.

> > The kernel library doesn't include this because it is supposed to be
> > minimal.  It does provide all the hooks to make it possible, though --
> > see the object manager documentation in dgd/mud/doc/kernel/hook. I
> > estimate that it can be implemented in about a thousand lines of
> > code.
>
> I think some examples of possible implementations would be good.
> But I guess that comes with your mudlib, when that is ready? ;)

I doubt that I will be releasing my own mudlib soon, though it will
be released under a "free for non-commercial use" license eventually.
I hope that other examples will be released before that.

Perhaps some of the others interested could pool their effords?  I
estimate that a good implementation need not be much above 1000
lines in size (i.e. not very much larger than the kernel lib's
driver object, and smaller than the auto object).