[DGD]upgrading kernel library

Geir Harald Hansen geirhans at ifi.uio.no
Wed Jun 30 04:08:22 CEST 1999

> > Dworkin wrote:
> Possible variants:
>
>  - keep track of different issues of compiled objects, including their
>    sources.
>  - don't keep track of different issues; instead, ensure that only
>    one issue exists of an object at any time by making the upgrade
>    operation atomic.  Disallow destructing of lib objects that are
>    still inherited other than by the upgrade operation.

How can I make the upgrade operation atomic if I need to split it over
several callouts to permit DGD to swap out objects during the upgrade?
The recompilation of a non-inheritable could fail and leave separate
versions of inheritables in existence.

Another thing, I suspend callouts.. Should I also somehow block all user
input and block new logins while upgrading?  How?

-- Geir Harald Hansen, geirhans at ifi.uio.no