[DGD]upgrading kernel library

balduin at uni-paderborn.de balduin at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jun 30 11:08:17 CEST 1999

Stephen Schmidt wrote:
[...]
> 2) Why, practically speaking, is it desirable to have this?
(global update)
> I understand that it's a Good Thing, but when does it come
> up in everyday application? Call me a slave of Lars :) but
> I confess in many years of mud adminning I never really
> felt the need to have it.

Well think about a mud without reboot at all. With dgd's possibility to
start from a state-dump and thus keep all objects cloned at shut-down,
it is almost mandatory to have such a feature.

If you think such a mud is not desirable because of the "diku-trap".
(entropy of objects caused by creating new objects via "reset" and not
deleting them) Remember that the g in dgd means generic not game.
You could e.g. use dgd as an object oriented database. (and dgd makes a
good database)

But i guess there will be more situations where this feature will at
least become handy in everyday applications.

greetings
Ludger

(balduin at uni-paderborn.de)