[DGD]upgrading kernel library

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed Jun 30 04:39:03 CEST 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Geir Harald Hansen wrote:
> How can I make the upgrade operation atomic if I need to split it over
> several callouts to permit DGD to swap out objects during the upgrade?
> The recompilation of a non-inheritable could fail and leave separate
> versions of inheritables in existence.

Much of this discussion has gone rather far over my head, but
I think enough of it has now sunk in that I'm prepared to ask
a couple questions that, though they are newbie questions,
will hopefully at least be reasonably intelligent newbie
questions...

1) I gather that by "global upgrade" we mean that, when we
update object A, we also want to update all objects B that
inherit A, and probably update all clones of A and B also.
Since this is not default behavior (by default, A's clones,
B, and B's clones would keep the pre-upgrade behavior until
they were reloaded) the mudlib has to keep track of everything
that inherits A and systematically replace old code with
new code. Is that about right, or have I missed a step?

2) Why, practically speaking, is it desirable to have this?
I understand that it's a Good Thing, but when does it come
up in everyday application? Call me a slave of Lars :) but
I confess in many years of mud adminning I never really
felt the need to have it.

Thanks for coping with such primitive questions :)

Stephen Schmidt

It is vain to expect a well-balanced government without a
well-balanced society.
			-- Gideon Welles