[DGD]Telnet GOAHEAD

Geir Harald Hansen geirhans at ifi.uio.no
Thu Mar 11 00:23:25 CET 1999

> > How do I get DGD to send GOAHEAD or EOR to notify a mudclient of prompts?
> > Without it, it can look quite ugly sometimes. Do I need to patch the
> > driver for this?
> DGD will send it if the mud client first requests it with the telnet
> escape sequence IAC DO TELOPT_SGA.  DGD used to send it all the time,
> but this confused many unsuspecting mud clients.

Ah, I never realized. The standard telnet client (at least on linux)
doesn't request this by itself and neither does tinyfugue, my mudclient.

I just tried connecting to a MudOS system with display of options
processing turned on in telnet: (toggle options)
Escape character is '^]'.
RCVD DO TERMINAL TYPE
SENT WILL TERMINAL TYPE
RCVD DO NAWS
SENT WILL NAWS
SENT IAC SB (terminated by -1 -16, not IAC SE!) NAWS 0 80 (80) 0 24 (24)
.. banner ...
'Who stands at the door?' RCVD IAC SB (terminated by -1 -16, not IAC SE!)
TERMINAL-TYPE SEND

Detecting windowsize like this is kinda nice.
Anyway, with every prompt, I get:
RCVD IAC GA

If MudOS uses it, well.. there can't be that many non-telnet-compliant
mudclients around? (Or they would complain very loudly, huh? ;)

Is DO TERMINAL TYPE something MudOS tells the client to make it
use line-by-line mode? Shouldn't DGD also say this?
(Sorry for my ignorance regarding the telnet protocol)

Btw, I found a 97-98 list archive on your experimental site.
parse_string() looks nice, think I better switch to experimental. ;)
I also like the new 'nil' thing very much.

-- Geir Harald Hansen, geirhans at ifi.uio.no