[DGD]1.1.52

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Mar 13 16:17:26 CET 1999

"Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:

>[...]
> I agree that having 3 different allocate functions is cumbersome,
> but I'm looking at something like
>
>     varargs mixed *allocate(int size, int type)
>
> instead.
>
> I will try to resolve this over the weekend.  As a warning to people
> who are upgrading: DGD can't deal with the removal of kfuns when
> restoring from a state dump.  If I do decide to remove the two
> new allocate kfuns, you won't be able to use a state dump from
> 1.1.52 with 1.1.53.  However, a state dump from 1.1.51 and before
> will be fine.

After thinking about this over, I decided to stick with the current
set of kfuns.

While allocate(size, type) would be more "minimal", it would allow
something like

    object *foo;
    foo = allocate(10, T_STRING);

This I don't like at all.

I would prefer something more integrated in the syntax of the
language that actually delivers the type safety it promises, but
that will have to wait until after I release version 1.2 of DGD.