[DGD]1.1.52

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Mar 15 15:05:38 CET 1999

Frank Schmidt <franks at colargol.tihlde.hist.no> wrote:

>[...]
> Ok, I've tried out 1.1.52 in the weekend. It basically looks nice
> (especially that you have an option of using it), but what troubles me is
> that you still cannot check wether a function argument was provided by
> the caller or not:

This one bothers me as well.  Specifically, if you have a function

    varargs void foo(int, string b, object c)
    {
    }

in which only the second and third arguments are optional, then
the function should not be callable as foo().

I do not care as much about the general case of not knowing with
how many actual arguments the function was called, since I consider
foo(1) to be an alias for foo(1, nil, nil).

Dealing with this means breaking backwards compatibility and
dumpfile compatibility, but since I have already done both for
the new typechecking mode, I need postpone it no longer.  I am
considering something like

    void foo(int a, varargs string b, object c)
    {
    }

to indicate that b and c are optional, but a isn't.  Furthermore,
I would make calling a function inappropriately with too many or
too few arguments an error, even for call_other().