[DGD]1.1.52

Frank Schmidt franks at colargol.tihlde.hist.no
Mon Mar 15 16:00:09 CET 1999

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Felix A. Croes wrote:

> how many actual arguments the function was called, since I consider
> foo(1) to be an alias for foo(1, nil, nil).

Yes, but not knowing if the nil was a default argument (to be set to a
default value) or if it is a destructed object or a somehow messed up
string/array/mapping, allows Very nasty bugs where to code flow continues
with hideous assumptions - Instead of detecting the obvious error.

 > > Dealing with this means breaking backwards
compatibility
and > dumpfile compatibility, but since I have already done both for
> the new typechecking mode, I need postpone it no longer.  I am
> considering something like
>
>     void foo(int a, varargs string b, object c)
>     {
>     }

Maybe "varargs object c" too? Or will you permit foo(a1,,c1) ?

-F