[DGD]Problem with state-dump

balduin at uni-paderborn.de balduin at uni-paderborn.de
Tue May 4 14:11:21 CEST 1999

Hello again.

> dworkin wrote
> shutdown() doesn't abort the current thread.  Rather, it takes action
> immediately after the current thread has completed.  The same is true
> for dump_state().

I'm a little confused now. What is the difference between calling a function
with call_out("function",0) and the behaviour of shutdown() and dump_state()?
I assumed that both would be identical (and silently smiled about my
stupid debugging code with send_message)

btw. call_out("shutdown",0) works without a problem (as Erwin expected)

> There is no incremental state dump.  The time it takes to dump state
> depends on the number of objects in memory, not on objects that are
> currently swapped out.  If you reduce memory usage by assigning giving
> a smaller value to the swap_fragment config parameter, dumping state
> will take less time.
>
> If you just created those 90000 objects, many of them may still be in
> memory.  To test real behaviour, give your mud a chance to swap out
> most of them before creating the state dump.

I see, I will monitor this.

Thank you all for the help.

Ludger