[DGD]Problem with state-dump

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue May 4 14:22:53 CEST 1999

balduin at uni-paderborn.de wrote:

> > dworkin wrote
> > shutdown() doesn't abort the current thread.  Rather, it takes action
> > immediately after the current thread has completed.  The same is true
> > for dump_state().
>
> I'm a little confused now. What is the difference between calling a function
> with call_out("function",0) and the behaviour of shutdown() and dump_state()?
> I assumed that both would be identical (and silently smiled about my
> stupid debugging code with send_message)

shutdown() and dump_state() happen immediately after the current thread
has completed (and in the case of a shutdown, there won't be any new
threads).  A callout with a delay of 0 seconds competes with other
callouts that are due to be executed.

You missed the point of my message, though.  You were destructing the
connection objects in the middle of a thread, implicitly assuming that
it would be okay since the same thread did a shutdown.