[DGD]Hello world.

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Nov 2 20:50:21 CET 1999

John "West" McKenna <john at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>[...]
> The other major part I'm working on is the universe model.  I want to get
> away from the standard room-based model and towards something based on
> landmarks.  Rooms are fine for indoor locations (and will be supported as
> a special case of containers), but don't work at all outside.  If I'm
> standing on the street outside the pub, why can't I see the crowd of a
> hundred people standing 20 metres away?

You might not have to abandon the rooms system if you introduce
positions (coordinates) in rooms, and if you can see what's going
on in adjacent rooms.  For example, if the street outside the pub
is a single room, everything on the street, as well as the rooms
(i.e. houses) adjacent to the street, would be immediately visible,
but the brawl inside the pub would not.

That way, you can still use rooms to provide a focus in the game.
"You are on the street outside the pub" is still a very good
description of the location.  If you switch to a pure coordinate
system, you'd have to derive the same information from the
relative closeness of objects around you.