[DGD]Hello world.

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed Nov 3 00:27:56 CET 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> John "West" McKenna <john at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> > The other major part I'm working on is the universe model.  I want to get
> > away from the standard room-based model and towards something based on
> > landmarks.

I've looked into this too, although I've never coded anything
for it.

> You might not have to abandon the rooms system if you introduce
> positions (coordinates) in rooms, and if you can see what's going
> on in adjacent rooms.

That works well if the vision range is one adjacent room. If the
vision range is more than one room, it can get messy. For example,
if your vision range is 3 "rooms" away, and if the average room
has three exits, then you can see 3+9+27 = 39 different rooms
in addition to the one you're in.

> That way, you can still use rooms to provide a focus in the game.
> "You are on the street outside the pub" is still a very good
> description of the location.  If you switch to a pure coordinate
> system, you'd have to derive the same information from the
> relative closeness of objects around you.

Indeed, and that's a pain. My application is such that I only
need notify players of the presence "in the distance" of other
players, and perhaps a short list of other objects. If I ever
go ahead and code this thing, I'll simply sweep through the
whole list to see which ones need to be reported, and each time
one moves, I'll check to see if any other player needs to be
notified of it.

Stephen Schmidt

It is vain to expect a well-balanced government without a
well-balanced society.
			-- Gideon Welles