[DGD]Patches

Jason Cone jcone at uscdev.com
Wed Apr 12 01:13:00 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA at skotos.net>

> [...]
> We also will be making available to select developers, starting in the
late
> summer, the ability to create games using SkotOS on our service, in which
we
> will pay royalties to the developers when the product is released to our
> customers. See www.skotos.net for more information on what we will be
offering.

As per a recent announcement by yourself, I checked out the aforementioned
website.  Suffice it to say that I lost many a productive hour that
afternoon reading, looking at, and otherwise enjoying what you had put
together.  Outstanding web site and an equally impressive approach to
interactive game building.

Your explanation holds merit, but only in the context of a game-like
implementation.  About a year ago, I used DGD to design an interactive
web-driven workspace and CVS-like repository for our development department.
I had to abandon its development due to the small size of the team and the
increased "real" projects which were put upon us, but such an idea could
prove extremely useful.  Alas, though, I can not make profit on it (without
the discussed terms) lest I dilute the gaming industry?

DGD is a language... a tool... much like Python, PHP, Perl, and Java are all
tools.  You basically have a monopoly over all things DGD, so I think you're
quite safe from being ousted by something developed with DGD.  Why not,
though, apply your restrictions and cost requirements on those that seek to
directly compete within your sector and/or use your metalibs?

You probably won't agree with me on this, but the cost/licensing
requirements of DGD (if applied in a universal manner) are going to prohibit
it from really being a part of something special outside of SkotOS.  It's a
shame to see something so innovative (esp. with the up-in-coming SMP
support) get passed over because it costs so much (much less costs anything
at all as compared to its scripting/interpreter counterparts).  I have a
hard time believing that Dworkin is putting so much work (and solid theory)
behind this product just so people can run a better, free MUD.  He did,
after all, rename it from Dworkin's _Game_ Driver to Dworkin's _Generic_
Driver.

Anyway, this isn't meant to cause a rebellion or anything.  Just some things
to mull over.  I, for one, look forward to SkotOS if for no other reason
than to really experience the capabilities of DGD.  I've all but had to give
up DGD/LPC-related development due to employment requirements, but it
doesn't mean I can't appreciate one fine piece of work. ;)

JC