[DGD]Patches

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at Skotos.net
Wed Apr 12 02:02:44 CEST 2000

Jason Cone wrote:
> As per a recent announcement by yourself, I checked out the aforementioned
> website.  Suffice it to say that I lost many a productive hour that
> afternoon reading, looking at, and otherwise enjoying what you had put
> together.  Outstanding web site and an equally impressive approach to
> interactive game building.

Thanks ;-)

> Your explanation holds merit, but only in the context of a game-like
> implementation.  About a year ago, I used DGD to design an interactive
> web-driven workspace and CVS-like repository for our development department.
> I had to abandon its development due to the small size of the team and the
> increased "real" projects which were put upon us, but such an idea could
> prove extremely useful.  Alas, though, I can not make profit on it (without
> the discussed terms) lest I dilute the gaming industry?
>
> DGD is a language... a tool... much like Python, PHP, Perl, and Java are all
> tools.  You basically have a monopoly over all things DGD, so I think you're
> quite safe from being ousted by something developed with DGD.  Why not,
> though, apply your restrictions and cost requirements on those that seek to
> directly compete within your sector and/or use your metalibs?
>
> You probably won't agree with me on this, but the cost/licensing
> requirements of DGD (if applied in a universal manner) are going to prohibit
> it from really being a part of something special outside of SkotOS.  It's a
> shame to see something so innovative (esp. with the up-in-coming SMP
> support) get passed over because it costs so much (much less costs anything
> at all as compared to its scripting/interpreter counterparts).  I have a
> hard time believing that Dworkin is putting so much work (and solid theory)
> behind this product just so people can run a better, free MUD.  He did,
> after all, rename it from Dworkin's _Game_ Driver to Dworkin's _Generic_
> Driver.

You do have a point. I deliberately tried to avoid game specific language in the
DGD specification for just such reasons.  For instance, our current
implementation above DGD includes a complete web server, with fairly
sophisticated capabilities and XML support, that could be used for a myriad of
purposes other then games.

I did not realize what specific use you had in mind -- we have had people
approach us for "non-game industry" games, such as educational games, but no one
has specifically approached us for using it for a different kind of product. We
still have to charge for it, but we might consider another model if the
restrictions were sufficient.

> Anyway, this isn't meant to cause a rebellion or anything.  Just some things
> to mull over.  I, for one, look forward to SkotOS if for no other reason
> than to really experience the capabilities of DGD.  I've all but had to give
> up DGD/LPC-related development due to employment requirements, but it
> doesn't mean I can't appreciate one fine piece of work. ;)

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you ;-)